Why You Should Showcase the Behind-the-Scenes of Your Online Business
By Kelly Helmick
The Importance of Personalizing Your Online Business
When it comes to building connections with your audience, personalization is key. It’s frustrating when messages lack a personal touch, such as including your name. By including your name in your online profiles and communications, you establish a deeper connection with your audience. In a recent conversation with a lead on Instagram, she expressed her reluctance to show too much of herself in her business. However, by the end of our conversation, it became clear that being authentic and personalizing her business would benefit her in the long run.
Three Benefits of Showcasing Your Online Business
1. Build Authentic Connections
People buy from people. Your clients want to know you, the person behind the business. By sharing who you are, why you started your business, and why you offer your services or products, you invite your clients into your business and create an authentic connection. This connection is what ultimately leads to sales.
2. Demonstrate Quality and Value
Providing a behind-the-scenes look at your online business allows potential customers to see the effort and work that goes into delivering your services or creating your products. This helps them understand the value and quality you provide. It also justifies your prices, as they can see the level of dedication and commitment you put into your work.
3. Increase Visibility and Engagement
In today’s social media-driven era, consistent posting is crucial. Sharing behind-the-scenes content not only provides fresh material but also saves you from constantly brainstorming new ideas. Additionally, using the right hashtags and keywords, posting at optimal times, and adhering to platform guidelines can significantly increase your business’s visibility.
Creating Behind-the-Scenes Content
When it comes to sharing behind-the-scenes content, the extent is entirely up to you. Some people prefer sharing their processes, while others opt for a more personal approach. Transparency is essential in my business, so I share a wide range of content, from business tips to moments with my dog. However, if your brand leans more towards professionalism, you can still share relevant content that showcases your expertise, such as discussing the systems you use or sharing your thoughts on industry-related topics. The goal is to establish a deeper connection with your audience.
Here are a few easy ways to create behind-the-scenes content for your online business:
- Testimonials and reviews: Share written testimonials or ask clients to film short videos discussing their experiences working with you.
- Day-to-day: Take your audience through your typical day via Instagram stories or post pictures/videos of your workspace or daily routines.
- Processes and systems: Conduct live sessions or create reels demonstrating how you create products or complete services. Share insights into the systems you use for specific tasks.
What to Avoid When Sharing Behind-the-Scenes Content
While sharing behind-the-scenes content is beneficial, there are some things you should avoid:
- Do not be prejudiced: Treat everyone with kindness and respect, even when expressing your opinions or taking a stand on certain issues. Discrimination can harm your business’s reputation.
- Do not share private information: Avoid sharing any personally identifiable information of yourself or your clients online, including sensitive details like social security numbers or addresses.
- Do not ignore platform guidelines: Familiarize yourself with the guidelines of each social media platform to ensure you comply with their rules and avoid account suspension or closure.
Remember, sharing a behind-the-scenes look at your online business allows you to connect with your audience on a deeper level, leading to increased sales and brand loyalty. Embrace the opportunity to show off your business and share your story!