If you make a purchase using the links provided, we may receive a commission from our affiliate partners. To learn more, click here.
Whether you are running a clothing business or a fabric craft business, having the right sewing supplies is crucial. However, it can be challenging to find the right supplies for your needs or figure out what additional supplies you might need as your business grows. To help you expand your sewing business, we have put together a guide to help you find the best sewing supplies for your sewing room.
The Sewing Market in 2022
The demand for high-quality sewn products is growing, with more and more people interested in handmade goods. Many individuals have turned their sewing skills into a business after completing a one-off sewing project. Embroidery, quilting, and handmade clothing are all experiencing stable growth in the sewing market. There is a definite demand for sewing, whether it is for decorative or functional products.
Top Places to Buy Sewing Supplies Online
When it comes to purchasing sewing supplies, there are several options available depending on what you are looking for. You can start your search at dedicated notions shops, popular brand stores for supplies, or all-purpose craft stores. Here are five top places to buy sewing supplies online:
1. Amazon: Amazon offers a wide variety of sewing supplies and functional items like packaging materials. You can find a range of items and have them delivered quickly to carry out your sewing projects efficiently.
2. Etsy: Etsy is another excellent place to find sewing supplies. You can discover a vast selection of materials for craft items, such as embroidery and quilting, as well as sewing patterns and other useful tools to make the design process more manageable.
3. Joann: Joann is a well-known store in the fabric and craft community, offering a wide selection of sewing supplies at competitive prices. You can find everything from yarn and beads to fabric, zippers, and pins.
4. Michaels: Michaels is a popular choice for both art supplies and sewing supplies. They offer a range of items, including yarn, needlework materials, fabric, thread, and more from leading brands.
5. Loralie Designs: Loralie Designs is a great option if you are looking for specific sewing items like fabrics from top designers, quilting supplies, and other creative tools. While they may not have functional items like bobbins or pins, they offer interesting fabrics and supplies for your products.
You can also find the latest deals on sewing supplies here.
Essential Sewing Supplies
If you are starting your own sewing business, it is essential to have the necessary items on hand. Here are some key sewing supplies you will frequently use:
1. Cotton Fabric: Cotton is a versatile and comfortable natural fiber that comes in different weights. It is suitable for various projects like summer dresses and tote bags.
2. Linen Fabric: Linen is known for its strength, breathability, and natural luster. It wrinkles easily, giving it a casual look. It is often used for summer clothing, tablecloths, and bed linens.
3. Silk Fabric: Silk is a luxurious fabric with a soft and shiny appearance. It drapes beautifully and can be used for blouses, dresses, scarves, and linings.
4. Wool Fabric: Wool is renowned for its warmth and insulation properties. It can hold moisture without feeling wet and is often used for sweaters, suits, coats, and blankets.
5. Polyester Fabric: Polyester is a durable and wrinkle-resistant synthetic fabric that retains its shape and dries quickly. It is commonly used in clothing, upholstery, and home textiles.
6. Rayon Fabric: Rayon is a soft and absorbent fabric that drapes well but can wrinkle easily. It is often used in dresses, blouses, and linings.
7. Denim: Denim is a sturdy cotton twill fabric best known for its use in jeans. It is durable and wears well over time, creating a personalized look as the color fades with wear.
8. Velvet: Velvet is a luxurious fabric with a plush feel and shiny appearance. It is commonly used for evening wear, jackets, curtains, and upholstery.
9. Chiffon: Chiffon is a lightweight and sheer fabric often made from silk, polyester, or rayon. It is perfect for evening gowns, blouses, and scarves but can be tricky to sew due to its slippery nature.
10. Tweed: Tweed is a rough and warm woven woolen fabric known for its multi-colored flecks. It is commonly used for jackets, blazers, and winter skirts, particularly in traditional British country clothing.
In addition to fabrics, here are some essential sewing supplies:
– Pins and Pincushion: Pins are used to temporarily hold fabric pieces together, and a pincushion provides a storage place for them.
– Needles: Needles are used for hand sewing, embroidery, and attaching buttons. Different sizes and types are available for various fabrics and purposes.
– Thread: Thread is used to stitch fabric pieces together and comes in different colors and thicknesses.
– Thimble: A thimble is worn on the fingertip to push needles through thick fabrics and protect the finger from pricks.
– Elastic: Elastic is a stretchy material used in waistbands, cuffs, and other sections of garments that require flexibility and fit.
– Interfacing: Interfacing is applied to areas like collars, cuffs, and waistbands to add stiffness and support.
– Buttons: Buttons are popular fasteners for clothing and accessories and are sewn onto garments through small holes.
– Snaps: Snaps are another type of fastener that require attaching two separate pieces to different sides of the garment.
– Zippers: Zippers are sewn into seams to provide another form of fastening, commonly used in pants, skirts, and bags.
These are just a few of the essential sewing supplies you may need for your business. By stocking up on these items, you can ensure you have everything necessary to complete your sewing projects successfully.