If you make a purchase through our provided links, we may receive a commission from our affiliate partners. To learn more, click here.
Mosaics are stunning works of art that are typically created using glass tiles or similar materials arranged to form a larger image. While some mosaic artists create these pieces for personal enjoyment, others turn it into a business. If you’re planning to open a shop to sell your mosaics, this guide will help you source the necessary supplies.
What is Mosaic Art?
Mosaic art refers to any image constructed from small tiles or other materials like rocks or glass. These images can be added to various home and garden features such as side tables or stepping stones.
The Decorative Arts Market in 2022
The decorative arts market has experienced significant growth in recent years. Consumers have the disposable income to spend on personalized and unique pieces from American mosaic artists and similar vendors. While future economic uncertainties may have an impact on this market, there is always room for creators who offer something unique to consumers.
Top Places to Source Mosaic Art Supplies for Your Business
When it comes to sourcing mosaic supplies for your shop, you have several options. From online retailers to big box stores, here are some places to consider:
1. Amazon: Amazon offers a vast inventory of mosaic-related items, including glass tiles, glue, starter kits, and various bases. Their fast and often free delivery is especially beneficial for Prime members.
2. Etsy: While Etsy is known for selling finished mosaic pieces, it also offers a wide range of supplies for your own projects. You can find complete kits, large assortments of glass tiles, and even discounted leftover materials from other sellers.
3. Mosaic Art Supply: Mosaic Art Supply is an online retailer that specializes exclusively in mosaic supplies. In addition to glass tiles and tools, their website provides educational resources such as tutorials and guides for makers.
4. Delphi Glass: Delphi Glass is a supplier that specializes in stained glass materials and mosaic tiles. They offer colorful pieces, as well as the tools and support needed for various projects. Their website also features helpful videos and tutorials.
5. WitsEnd Mosaic: WitsEnd Mosaic is the oldest online supplier in the mosaic space. They offer a variety of materials, including collections sorted by size, style, or color choices, making shopping easier for specific projects.
6. Michael’s: Michael’s is a leading craft store chain in the U.S. They offer a range of mosaic supplies, including glass and other materials. This can be particularly advantageous for those interested in mixed media pieces or creating mosaics on different surfaces.
7. BLICK: BLICK is a nationwide retailer specializing in artist supplies, including mosaic materials. They provide beginner kits, tools, and materials for experienced mosaic artists.
8. Mosaic Heaven: Mosaic Heaven is dedicated solely to mosaic materials. Their wide selection includes tiles and stones in various sizes, shapes, colors, and styles. You can shop by collection or narrow down your choices based on specific project requirements.
9. Walmart: As a large retailer, Walmart offers both online and in-person shopping options. While their selection might focus on basics like tile and grout, you can also find furniture pieces and other large items for creative mosaic bases.
10. eBay: eBay is a platform that features an ever-changing array of art supplies from third-party sellers. This includes deals from other makers and even vintage or one-of-a-kind pieces for special projects. You can find exciting discounts on mosaic supplies here.
Essential Mosaic Art Materials and Supplies
As you shop for mosaic materials for your shop, here are some basics you’ll likely purchase repeatedly:
1. Ceramic Tiles: Durable and versatile, ceramic tiles come in various colors, shapes, and sizes. They are suitable for both indoor and outdoor mosaics and can be glazed for added shine and weather resistance.
2. Glass Tiles: Translucent glass tiles offer a unique quality that ceramic tiles cannot replicate. They come in a wide array of colors and can have a smooth or textured surface, providing opportunities for creating intricate designs that capture and reflect light.
3. Smalti: Specialized mosaic tiles made from richly colored glass, smalti tiles were traditionally used in Byzantine mosaics. They add depth and richness to mosaics and are favored for religious and historical artwork due to their deep colors and rough texture.
4. Pebbles and Stones: Natural materials like pebbles and stones can bring a rustic touch to your mosaics. Available in various shapes, sizes, and colors, each piece is unique and can add texture and depth to your creations.
5. Seashells: Adding seashells to your mosaics can create an oceanic or beachy atmosphere. Seashells come in different shapes, sizes, and colors, allowing you to incorporate their unique iridescence and texture into your designs.
6. Stained Glass: Primarily used in windows, stained glass can be repurposed for mosaics. It comes in various colors and patterns, offering a wide range of creative possibilities. When illuminated, stained glass pieces bring vibrant colors to life in mosaics.
7. Mirror Pieces: Integrating mirror pieces into your mosaics adds reflectivity, capturing and bouncing light to create a dynamic effect. You can use small shards or larger cut pieces to make your mosaics more visually engaging.
8. Beads: Beads provide intricate details to mosaics and come in various materials, colors, and sizes. They can accentuate specific parts of your mosaic or create intricate patterns that stand out from the larger tiles or pieces.
As you embark on your mosaic art business journey, sourcing the right supplies is essential for creating beautiful and unique pieces.