Disclosure: This article may contain affiliate links, meaning we may earn a commission if you purchase something through our links. Learn more about how we make money from our affiliate partners.
Finding the right supplies is crucial for weavers looking to start or expand their basket weaving business. To help, we have compiled a list of 10 places where weavers can find everything they need, from reed and cane to handles and dyes. Whether you’re a seasoned weaver or just starting out, these suppliers offer a range of products to meet your needs.
The popularity of cottage industry businesses in the woven goods sector continued to grow in 2022. Skilled artisans employed traditional techniques and patterns to create unique and high-quality products, ranging from handmade textiles to intricate baskets and beyond. This trend is expected to continue throughout 2023 as consumers look to purchase one-of-a-kind items while supporting small-scale producers.
Here are some helpful places to buy basket weaving supplies:
1. Amazon – offering a wide variety of materials and tools with fast shipping.
2. Etsy – with a diverse selection of unique and handcrafted basket weaving supplies from independent sellers around the world.
3. eBay – offering a variety of basket weaving supplies, including reeds, tools, and weaving materials.
4. BasketWeaving.com – selling high-quality basket weaving supplies, kits, and books with free tips and techniques.
5. Walmart – offering a limited but suitable selection of affordable basket weaving supplies, including reed, cane, and weaving tools.
6. East Troy Basketry – providing quality materials and has now moved their business from East Troy to Burlington and now offer mail order and appointments.
7. Basket Makers Catalog – offering top-quality basket-making supplies and chair caning supplies along with classes and workshops with nationally-acclaimed teachers.
8. BLICK Art Materials – a family-owned art supply company serving artists, students, and educators since 1911.
9. The Country Seat – a family-owned business supplying top-quality basketry and chair seating supplies since 1975.
10. Joanna’s Collections – offering basket weaving kits and patterns for all skill levels.
To make beautiful and sturdy baskets, five must-have basket weaving supplies include reed, cane, handles, scissors, and glue.
For businesses to become successful basket weavers, it’s essential to have the right tools and equipment, including an awl, packing tool, knife, mallet, and pegs. These tools are necessary for cutting, shaping, and weaving the basket’s material to create a sturdy and visually appealing finished product.
With the right skills and a solid business plan, it’s possible to make money from basket weaving. Selling finished products, teaching classes, and providing custom orders are all ways to turn weaving skills into a profitable business.
Basket weaving is relatively easy to learn, but mastering the craft takes time and patience. With the right tips and techniques, even beginners can create beautiful and functional baskets.