If you make a purchase through our links, we may earn a commission from our affiliate partners. Click here to learn more about this.
Calligraphy is an excellent way to add elegance and sophistication to your business. To get started, you’ll need the right tools and materials. Here are 10 places where you can find calligraphy supplies, including fine art supplies, to help elevate your business.
The Modern Calligraphy and Ink Arts Market in 2022
In 2022, the market for modern calligraphy and ink arts experienced significant growth as more people sought to learn hand lettering for their businesses or as a creative outlet. This resulted in a higher demand for calligraphy supplies, workshops, and tutorials, leading to an increase in products available.
Top Places to Buy Supplies for Calligraphy
From online retailers to local art supply stores, there are many top places to buy supplies for calligraphy. Here are 10 recommended places to find the tools and materials you need to enhance your calligraphy skills and take your business to the next level.
1. Amazon offers a wide selection of calligraphy supplies, including pens, pen holders, ink, and paper, with fast shipping and competitive prices.
2. Etsy provides a platform for independent artists and suppliers to sell unique and handmade calligraphy supplies not available elsewhere.
3. Blick Art Materials offers a wide range of high-quality calligraphy supplies, both in-store and online, suitable for beginners and professionals.
4. Joann provides a variety of calligraphy supplies, including pens, nibs, and ink, both in-store and online, with discounts and coupons available.
5. Michaels offers a wide range of calligraphy supplies, including pens, ink, calligraphy sets, and paper, as well as classes and workshops for beginners.
6. Hobby Lobby provides a selection of essential calligraphy supplies in its physical stores and online, along with weekly discounts and a rewards program.
7. Paper and Ink Arts is a leading source for calligraphy supplies, offering a wide range of products for calligraphers worldwide.
8. Tom’s Studio creates sustainable, high-quality calligraphy tools for creative people, inspired by a product and furniture designer’s desire to create a better calligraphy pen for his wife.
9. Written Word Calligraphy specializes in custom wedding invitations, calligraphy supplies, modern calligraphy tools, and online courses, founded by a calligrapher, designer, and educator based in Vancouver.
10. Office Depot offers a limited selection of calligraphy supplies, primarily focused on pens and markers, along with printing and custom stamp services.
Must-have Calligraphy Supplies
To create beautiful calligraphy, having the right tools is essential. Here are some must-have calligraphy supplies to help you produce stunning works of art.
– Water-Based Ink: Easy to use, water-soluble, and works well with most papers.
– Pigment Ink: Preferred for archival quality work or projects that require long-lasting color.
– Iron Gall Ink: Historically used for important documents, darkens over time.
– India Ink: Known for deep black color and smooth flow.
– Acrylic Ink: Highly pigmented and dries quickly to a waterproof and flexible finish.
– Gouache Ink: Used for bold and vivid colors, especially on dark papers.
– Sealing Wax: Comes in various colors and adds a decorative seal to calligraphy work.
– Paper: High-quality, smooth paper designed for calligraphy.
– Calligraphy Paper Pads: Smooth and absorbent paper designed specifically for calligraphy.
– Lightboxes: Used for easily tracing designs from one paper/material to another.
– Tracing Paper: Useful for transferring and duplicating artwork.
– Blotting Paper: Highly absorbent and used to prevent smudges or bleed-through.
– Guides and Templates: Helpful for beginners and creating consistent spacing and letter sizes.
Essential Calligraphy Tools for Businesses
Incorporating calligraphy into branding and marketing materials can bring a professional and polished look. Here are some essential calligraphy tools for businesses to consider.
– Dip Pen: Offers flexibility and allows for different styles and line widths.
– Nibs: Control the flow of ink to the paper and come in various types for different thicknesses.
– Nib Cleaner: Removes dried ink and residue to maintain smooth ink flow and extend the life of the nib.
– Fountain Pen: A classic choice for calligraphy with a variety of ink options available.
– Calligraphy Sets: Typically include pens, nibs, and ink in a complete package.